The King Snake Forum
The King Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 King Snake Posts
 King Snake - General Keeping information
 why a stat MUST be used

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Gmac Posted - 18/01/2011 : 20:20:50
Why must a thermostat be used?

Looking on our sister site earlier I came across a not so nice photo of a royal, you will see from the photo what the dangers of not using a stat can cause.

The damage to this snake was caused by being kept in housing without a thermostat and the burns are as bad as they look. That can happen to any snake should you choose to heat a snake using a mat without using a thermostat.

The snake now has a new owner, after it was bought by one of the original owners friends and is doing well.

This image alone is more than enough encouragement to make sure you have a stat.

Thanks to AddicksGlenn on TRP for letting me use this photo

15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Gmac Posted - 07/04/2012 : 15:00:22
Agree DMF, I go through to rep shops in fife where they are better and do provide stats with full set ups. These shops really do need educating, they have to see the full picture not the fact stats are too expensive but then again they will see the more kit you add to the bill the less likely they are to sell them.
deadmansfinger Posted - 06/04/2012 : 19:51:58
It's amazing how many "complete" snake starter kits don't contain thermostats and one of the biggest reptile shops near me don't keep them in stock as they said "they are very expensive". So they'll sell you any reptile you want (they have loads) and a full setup but don't have thermostats. All 8 RUBS in my rack have individual thermostats, mainly matstats that are about £20 each.
P0NY Posted - 06/04/2012 : 19:48:39
Good post, I found myself asking about thermostats on this forum when I just got my snakes as our pet shop owner who took plenty of time to explain everything said we wouldn't necessarily need one!
After asking on the forum I rushed back to the shop just before closing time...
Mamma Posted - 05/07/2011 : 11:16:09
craziness! That poor snake looks so sore.
Kehhlyr Posted - 23/06/2011 : 23:30:46
I found out the other day that a reptile shop I've always thought highly of is telling new keepers (funny that) that they DON'T need a stat at all for hatchling snakes, all they need to do if the DIAL THERMOMETER that they recommend to stick on the side of the faun gets to over 30ºc then to slide the heatmat out a bit from underneath it.

The risk to the animals is unreal, and i always thought that place was good.
Emmajayne Posted - 23/06/2011 : 21:34:49
The starter kits in my local rep shop don't come with stats but they do sell them, and STRONGLY advise people to use them (they said that they can't force people to buy them.
I actually have not had any issues with this place yet and they actually seem to know what they're on about. I will be purchasing my first snake from there soon :)
Katkin Posted - 01/04/2011 : 22:28:02
Thankfully, the shops here in Sheffield seem to be advising potential owners that they must have a stat and two we've visited so far (Snakes and Adders & Blue Lizard Reptiles) both sell starter kits with a stat as standard. I can't believe anyone who genuinely cares about animal welfare would actively encourage new owners to set up without one, but clearly there are some uncaring, unscrupulous folk out there, grrr
Crazy jj Posted - 19/01/2011 : 01:59:32
i know there is, mine dont use/sell or even say anything about a stat, sells snakies/beardies ridic priced all the people that work there are scared of reptiles :o and he has no clue :( he once apparntly killed a snake cos it bite him :o i havnt been there since i dunno how long, i have never been into a decent rep shop but then ive only ever been in 3/4 but 2 of them never have asked about set-ups.

glad to know there are some that sell stats with set-ups though there as i said unheard of near me :o
Gmac Posted - 19/01/2011 : 00:46:37
quote:
Originally posted by Crazy jj

but surely any decent reptile shop would sell stats so therefore even if not included in the set-up thingy then they can make more money by telling people to buy one.
surely that makes more sense

yup I do agree and there are some dam good shops out there, I go to 2 that wont sell a set up without a stat.

But there are shops that don't tell you that you need a stat, they really need educating to make people aware that this can and does happen.
Crazy jj Posted - 19/01/2011 : 00:33:06
but surely any decent reptile shop would sell stats so therefore even if not included in the set-up thingy then they can make more money by telling people to buy one.
surely that makes more sense
Gmac Posted - 18/01/2011 : 22:53:45
What I do get incredibly frustrated about is the shops that tell new owners they don't need a stat, that is where the major problem lies.

Invalid User Posted - 18/01/2011 : 21:46:20
I noticed in my local pet shop where I bought Nimbus, they are now selling a corn snake starter kit and it does not include a stat. I asked them if they would advice using one and they said with that size heat mat (7 watt) you wouldn't need one!!

I have a 7 watt heat mat and have tested it without a stat and it got up to 35c in less than 20 mins and was still climbing.
Welly Posted - 18/01/2011 : 21:33:05
I have been in shops where they have said you don't need stats. Scares me
sullysteve Posted - 18/01/2011 : 21:30:36
Nice one Gmac,

I have posted the following pic before. Its my mates royal that was kept without a stat also. The pic was taken a few weeks after finding the burn and you can see it scars real bad. He wouldnt listen to me but took advice from a "PET SHOP".

Oh and BTW, The mat he was using had almost melted under the terrarium, notice i said "UNDER" so imagine if it was inside the terrarium??

Gaz_1989 Posted - 18/01/2011 : 20:59:03
Good post Gmac.

When I got my first corn snake I had read books and lots of internet research and had read about needing a stat. However when I went to purchase my setup I was told that I DID NOT need a stat, they did not sell stats and that the heatmat cuts off at 30c. It wasn't until I posted on the cornsnake forum that I found this out to be nonsense and got a stat.

I bet alot of neew keepers are told the same.

Gaz

The King Snake Forum © 2000-08 thekingsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000