The King Snake Forum
The King Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 King Snake Posts
 King Snake - General Keeping information
 GUIDE TO NON FEEDING SNAKES

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
lee2308 Posted - 27/05/2009 : 17:45:45
As a owner of a kingsnake you may encounter times when your snake wont eat,this can be for a number of reasons and the most important thing to remember is don't panic.

A snake can go long periods without food by choice (natural fasting) which is common during the winter months and breeding season and causes more stress to us than them.

If your snake has stopped eating the first thing to do is to start making a record of their weight,if they are holding their weight ok then don't get worrying just make sure that they have fresh water to drink.

POSSIBLE REASONS FOR NOT EATING

1..Have you recently bought or moved your snake..if you have it is recommended to give your snake a week or 2 to settle into it's new environment with out handling it at all as a move can be stressful

2..Is it due to shed..this can make a snake very uncomfortable and blind during the blue stage of shedding.in the wild a snake would curl up in a hole and not resume feeding until the shedding process was completed.

3..Are your temps at the correct levels..snakes need steady and correct temps to regulate their bodies,if they are not right they will be unable to digest their meal therefor wont eat it.

4..Vivarium set up..(husbandry)if your viv is too big or not enough or right size hides and foliage a snake may become stressed by open spaces and not enough coverage for it to hide.

5..Size of prey..if your offering prey that is way too small they might not see it as prey and just ignore it..if it's too big they may become threatened by it and shy away.

6..Illness..If your snake is showing any kind of illness take it to a vet asap.

7..over handling..Over handling may put some snakes of there food to,so avoid handling during periods of not eating

8..change in diet..Your snake could simply bored of the same prey,you could try varying their prey

WHAT SHOULD I TRY

There are many methods to try and get your snake to eat,they are not guaranteed to work but well worth trying

1..Super heating..really heat the prey and pay more attention to the head using a hair drier,also make sure the prey item if fully defrosted and heated before offereing it.

2..braining..this involves slitting the skull from the back of the head to the nose to expose the brain.

3..Leaving prey..leave the prey in the viv on a piece of paper with a hide covering it for 24hours with out looking.

4..Take for a drive..taking it in a tub for a 15-20 min drive might stimulate the stomach juices

5..scenting..you can try scenting with other prey items such as mice, rats, gerbils, chicks, multis, rabbits. wash the prey item under warm water to remove as much of the natural scent as possible then rub all over with the item you're scenting with, paying particular attention to the prey item's head. you don't need to buy a gerbil to try gerbil scenting, for example, ask a keeper or pet shop for some of their hair or faeces to scent your prey item with.

6..Alternative prey..other prey items are available such as mice,rats,gerbils,day old chicks and multis amongst others.

There are loads of methods to tempt non-feeders, the most common are listed here but please ask if you're still struggling.

AS A LAST RESORT

After trying these methods and your snake is losing a lot of weight you can try these methods as a last resort.

1..live feeding..This should be done under strict supervision as injury could be caused to your snake and in the privacy of your own home and not in front of a audience.There are serious legal impliaction if these guidelines are not followed

2..assist feeding..this is where you assist the snake by gently opening his mouth and placing the head of the prey in to start him off.

3..Force feedingthis is where the prey is forced down the throat of the snake.

I RECOMMEND THAT STEPS 2 & 3 ARE ONLY DONE UNDER THE SUPERVISION OF SOME ONE WHO KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE DOING
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
DrewPickles Posted - 17/08/2012 : 13:25:55
I'm praying that I never have to brain any of my feeders
frogreapertattoo Posted - 06/11/2011 : 01:50:50
when i said hope mine does too ment ,eats soon not goes longer then eats...
frogreapertattoo Posted - 06/11/2011 : 01:47:18
i paniked i posted then read this n feel alot betterish,mine still int eating but is as active as ever,am going to try some diffrent foods tried pinkies just incase a small meal would do it nope tryed a small rat nope jumbo mice the normal food no interest and it is 7 or nearly 8 week but have read loads and feel a tiny bit better that some folks kings and other bread snakes go alot longer before eating and ime hoping mine does as well..fingers xsed
Mr. Oblivious Posted - 03/03/2010 : 02:28:05
Great info. My MBK wasn't eating but I left a Pinkie on a piece of paper in the viv overnight and he ate it. I think a good rule is to not panic.
Kehhlyr Posted - 18/07/2009 : 21:14:56
yup.
lee2308 Posted - 18/07/2009 : 20:32:11
they will still post "why is'nt my snake eating" lol
Kehhlyr Posted - 18/07/2009 : 20:16:23
Although it's sutied for the health section, I'd stick it in general.
That's where most people seem to post forst, so hopefully it'll get seen.

But how many new peepz do you reckon will still skip past it??
lee2308 Posted - 18/07/2009 : 19:25:02
it's over there already http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3720
maybe could do with being in another section?
Kehhlyr Posted - 18/07/2009 : 15:46:27
Copy that over to TCS and sticky it as well.
Carl Posted - 18/07/2009 : 15:28:44
Nice one people that is really useful thanks but I think I would really struggle with braining bit
magneticblue Posted - 27/05/2009 : 20:44:06
Good advice there Lee. Can I also add that some snakes simply go off a particular type of prey. Sylar won't touch mice any more, I never offered him anything different he just simply wouldn't feed for about 4 weeks. Blackecho brought a couple of rat pups round and he struck straight away. I've tried him with mice a few times since but he never shows any interest at all, whereas he is striking at rat fuzzies every time.
lee2308 Posted - 27/05/2009 : 19:56:49
I was going to say if anyone had anything to add,it all helps.
Gingerpony Posted - 27/05/2009 : 19:48:46
sounds good but i'm barely able to read it with this migraine, got stuff to add when i can see to type better

The King Snake Forum © 2000-08 thekingsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000