The King Snake Forum
The King Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 King Snake Posts
 King Snake - General Keeping information
 Mat in the Viv question...

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Nicola Posted - 18/01/2013 : 23:40:43
As Cecil is currently housed in a plastic box the mat is underneath, but he is having an upgrade soon into a vivarium. I understand the mat needs to go inside but I don't want him to have direct contact with the mat... He has a stat but I just want to be extra careful. Would Lino be appropriate to place on the mat as his main flooring? Or would this just block the heat? If its no good, is there anything else I could use? I always use kitchen towel to line his house but he likes to hide under there when he's in blue so I'd still like to keep a layer too if it doesn't make a difference.

Thanks,
Nic x
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
golgarth Posted - 29/01/2013 : 22:38:02
always try and file the end so it isn't like a mini razor :-)
Nicola Posted - 29/01/2013 : 20:37:49
Ah cool. I can nick one of these from work!!! Would u cut it so there's not loads of it or would that be sharp? X
golgarth Posted - 28/01/2013 : 11:46:59
hmm, how to describe a zip tie....... err, also called a cable tie?

here is a pic:
Nicola Posted - 23/01/2013 : 21:16:59
Awe thanks, that's good to know about temps... I suppose it's just natural to them too

What do you mean zip tie? Like a bag tie?

X
golgarth Posted - 22/01/2013 : 20:38:10
I've used a bit of slate tile ontop of the mat before, but in reality all you need to do is zip tie the stat to the mat so it doesn't move off the mat and your golden :-)

Also, don't worry too much about the temps dipping this time of year, they would naturally cool this time of year anyways (my females are totally off heat for the winter)
Nicola Posted - 21/01/2013 : 23:09:33
Hahaha!!!! That's a genius idea... I might follow suit n move in with Cecil. I actually think I would fit in a 3ft Viv too. Wonder if he would mind!

I'm favouring the crazy hats this year, can't take the cold!
And If I find a people sized polystyrene box I'll send one over to u so u can hibernate for the rest of the winter! :D
Auld Baldy Posted - 21/01/2013 : 23:03:50
I've been greasing my joints so that I can fold myself up and move in with Vambo for the cold spell. I refuse to put the central heating on and don't care if I look like the Michelin Man with a balaclava and wooly-toorie bunnet on.
Nicola Posted - 21/01/2013 : 22:48:23
Awe that's brill thanks. I'll go n have a look for a couple of these then... Getting my spider royal this weekend so she may need one even if cecil doesn't with the move. :D
Wouldn't mind one for myself too with how cold it is!!!! Haha! X x
Auld Baldy Posted - 21/01/2013 : 22:32:56
Every picture tells a story. This is for my two T's and the crickets.
Heat mat lead (statted of course) can be either poked through the side or just make a small notch on the edge of the box. Pop the lid on at night or when room is cold.

Nicola Posted - 21/01/2013 : 22:00:36
Thanks Auld Baldy. So the polystyrene is outside and the rub/plastic Box is in it with the front open to see him unless I feel It's cold and we need the lid in? Just to make sure... Cos I had to re read it a few times to get what u ment! Lol.
Hopefully the stuff will come for the Viv this week and It won't be quite so cold in there. :) can't wait to move him in! X x
Auld Baldy Posted - 20/01/2013 : 17:09:29
If the room gets so cold, try and get hold of a polystyrene box and place the faun/box inside. I pick them up from the local pet shop for free as they are usually trashed. They are used for tropical fish deliveries.
I have one for my tarantulas with the box on its side with open end to the front. If it gets too cold I just pop the lid on. It is safe enough to use with the statted mat inside.

The standard box is 19x14x14 (inches) so should big enough for your faun and a lot cheaper than using a fan heater to warm up the whole room.
Nicola Posted - 20/01/2013 : 10:23:18
Thank you for your advice, I knew Id seen it being used before too but I won't bother now. I have always used kitchen paper towel so will prob just stick with this.

I always use a stat and digitel thermometer but the temps have dipped lower again all of a sudden so I've had to turn it up to the top and it's still not warm enough, roughly around 25-26C (having to fan heat the room again) I'm not sure if it just because the weather is colder but I suppose I'm now worried it will suddenly go back up and too heigh for him...
But I always check and record it well so I'll just be extra careful with him having direct contact. I expect it may be better when it's not having to go through the plastic box he's currently in anyway? I'll be able to monitor it before moving him over too.
I'll let you know how the move goes.

Thanks very much guys :)
X
Auld Baldy Posted - 19/01/2013 : 04:10:14
I have 7 wooden vivs, all with the heatmat inside and only covered with a thin layer of either aspen or beech chips. As long as you have the mat properly regulated with a thermostat then there is no need for anything else covering the mat. The temperature will not get high enough to cause any damage. In fact it is possible to cause a potential problem if you use some sort of lino as an insulator. The temperature under the lino could be raised unnecessarily to get the required temperature on the topside. If the snake gets under the lino (and it will) then the potential for a burn is increased.
All my lot at one point or other ends up clearing the chips and lying on the bare mat, usually under the hide, and has never caused a problem.
deadmansfinger Posted - 19/01/2013 : 00:10:37
The mat needs to go inside the viv. I have saw people using lino ontop of a heatmat inside a viv. I use RUBS with heatmats outside them so don't do it myself but sure others will come along and let you know what they do.

The King Snake Forum © 2000-08 thekingsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000