The King Snake Forum
The King Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 King Snake Posts
 King Snake - General Keeping information
 Another Viv question...

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Nicola Posted - 27/01/2013 : 17:53:17
Yet another question re Cecil...

I placed his plastic box in his new Viv on Friday as he normally gets a bit more active after feeding towards the weekend. I noticed he still looked a bit fat after his 2 mice so left the did on.
On sat morning he still wasn't doing much but u took the lid off so he could go and explore the new Viv but go back to his box if he preferred.... As expected he has a nosey around the Viv when he realised the lid was gone from his house... Then he went and hid under the tissue paper I use as substrate.

I noticed a big poo in the plastic box so removed it and placed his hides in the Viv along with a few other bits that I put in for him. But he's just stayed under the paper towel since.

It's a 3ft Viv. Cecil is about 21 inches and very nosey normally so I thought he'd be happy in there but I'm not sure now. He surely can't be full from wed feeding and he has recently shed so I'm wondering if he is hiding because he doesn't like his Viv. Do you think it's simply too big? Or should I give him a bit longer? And also shall I leave him and not handle for a week while he settles in if he doesn't need moving back into his old house? He has been in the Viv before A few times while I clean his old house out. He's alwase seemed happy to nosey around in there. It is a tad dark in where he is, I'm thinking of getting a light bulb for him in the day so he doesn't feel like he's in darkness all day long (it's not totally dark but I still think he needs something)

Any thoughts or advice would be helpful. Thanks. :)

8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Nicola Posted - 29/01/2013 : 23:21:54
Awe I see... Wondered if he had alwas been so shy. Do u know how they ended up at the SPCA? If they give u that info? X x
Auld Baldy Posted - 29/01/2013 : 20:34:59
Absolutely no idea as 'he' is another one of my re-homers from the Scottish SPCA. Fully grown adult at +4 feet anyway.
Nicola Posted - 29/01/2013 : 20:28:36
Oh bless him!!! Maybe he's expressing his inner bunny!!! How old did u say he is? X x
Auld Baldy Posted - 29/01/2013 : 13:24:26
If I wanted adorable I would have got a floppy eared fluffy bunny. I want regal and majestic with my Kings.
Nicola Posted - 28/01/2013 : 22:36:45
Awe that is so cute! An un-kingly king. He is so adorable tho.

Well I added some more tubes, cleaned the mess he left me and changed his water again this evening and about half an hour later he was out and about checking his house out! I was so happy... He seemed to know where the door opened too and kept pushing against it to come out to I let him come say hi! I'm so happy to see him finally!
He's already rearranged the tubes ive placed in, he must be picky on how he likes his furniture! Hehe

X x
Auld Baldy Posted - 28/01/2013 : 00:44:03
My adult Florida is a bit of a scaredy cat and uses multiple tubes as a tunnel if he decides to go for a prowl. If he gets spooked by me having a look in, he reverses back through the tubes into his hide then keeks out to see if I've gone. Some King Snake.
Nicola Posted - 27/01/2013 : 20:31:01
Awe that's good then, thought he may need time to settle but I always like to double check incase I've not done the right thing!!

He has a couple of tubes so I'll keep collecting them up for him and ill see how he goes. :D I've not got any leafy fake plant bits yet so will be on the hunt for some of those too... I think he will like them as well.

Thanks for the light link. They are perfect! I'll be having an idea trip next weekend then.

Awe I really miss him! it's hard being patent... What with him hiding away for most of the week and I've got a new spider royal settling in too... All I want to do is have them out but with them settling into new homes atm I'm just sat waiting to see one of them pop out to say hi!!! ah they will settle in soon tho. :D
X x
Auld Baldy Posted - 27/01/2013 : 20:08:08
Give him a bit more time and he should venture out and start exploring in his own good time. You could leave the plastic box in the viv with the lid off. It's always something familiar to retreat to. Stack up a few more loo roll tubes so he has plenty cover.

If you want to add lights, I can recommend the LED route. Easy to fit, cheap to run and don't give off any heat. I have 6 sets using Ledberg Strips from Ikea. Only £11.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/search/?query=LEDBERG LED 3-piece lighting strip set white

The King Snake Forum © 2000-08 thekingsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000