The King Snake Forum
The King Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 King Snake Posts
 King Snake - General Keeping information
 Substrate

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Welshlamb Posted - 19/04/2013 : 13:58:08
I'm using beech chips at the moment. I know sand with corns is a big no no, but what about kings?

6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Welshlamb Posted - 20/04/2013 : 08:38:14
quote:
Originally posted by Auld Baldy

Unplug the heat mat and wipe it down with a damp cloth with a skoosh of F10 disinfectant. Dry off with kitchen towel. Poop and urates can get baked onto the laminate. If not cleaned regularly it can cause a slightly ammonia type smell.

Post a picture of a fresh dump to give something to judge how normal it is. We know it's not a photogenic subject but don't worry, we are used to it.

Corns and Kings only pass urates, either as pellets or a crumbly paste. There should be relatively little as fluid urine. Some mucous is normal.

Thanks for the help. Will get a picture up the next time she decides
To drop her handbag.
deadmansfinger Posted - 19/04/2013 : 19:36:17
I use newspaper. Not nice to look at but very practical. Every time my kings poop I do a full clean and wipe down with F10.
Auld Baldy Posted - 19/04/2013 : 19:36:07
Unplug the heat mat and wipe it down with a damp cloth with a skoosh of F10 disinfectant. Dry off with kitchen towel. Poop and urates can get baked onto the laminate. If not cleaned regularly it can cause a slightly ammonia type smell.

Post a picture of a fresh dump to give something to judge how normal it is. We know it's not a photogenic subject but don't worry, we are used to it.

Corns and Kings only pass urates, either as pellets or a crumbly paste. There should be relatively little as fluid urine. Some mucous is normal.

Welshlamb Posted - 19/04/2013 : 18:49:13
quote:
Originally posted by Auld Baldy

No sand for Kings either. It can irritate the scales and cause impaction just the same as with Corns. Beech chips are fine. My 2 big Kings are on chips and the smaller is on Aspen shavings. Aspen is pretty absorbent and easily cleaned.

There shouldn't really be much in the way of liquid or mucous from a small King. You seem to be having a bit of a poop problem there. What are you feeding, how often and how often is he pooping?

Musk is normally released only when it feels threatened and not with normal bowel function. There should be a bit of undigested fur, some chalky urates and a little mucous. You would notice the smell but to be honest, it shouldn't be that bad. Musk is normally a pale yellow mush with the consistency of thick custard.

How long have you had this one? Check with the supplier/ breeder for history of parasites or infection.

Hi Auld,

Will stick to the chips, maybe aspen if things do not change. I've only had her a short while. She has eaten one Medium, she ate this whilst in a rub. But the RUB was rather small, So I got cracking on her Vivarium (Which is a hit, she appears much happier).

When she went in the rub she excreted and urinated on the heat mat, this caused a massive stench. Maybe she had a roll around in this at the same time.

I washed everything down and gave her a wipe with a babywipe as you recommened then moved her into the Vivarium.

The time I believe she musked, it was a clear colour at a glue consitency. Not sure if this was her urine.

Anyhow it stank. But I am comparing her to a 8 month old corn. That does not give off any smell.

Maybe it's just because she's a bigger snake, I may need to get used to the idea.

In regards to the breeder, I bought her at an Expo event in Newport. Unfortunately did not catch her name (my mistake).

Fingers crossed its just because she was in a small rub, dirtying the heat mat.

Thanks for all you help
Auld Baldy Posted - 19/04/2013 : 18:13:10
No sand for Kings either. It can irritate the scales and cause impaction just the same as with Corns. Beech chips are fine. My 2 big Kings are on chips and the smaller is on Aspen shavings. Aspen is pretty absorbent and easily cleaned.

There shouldn't really be much in the way of liquid or mucous from a small King. You seem to be having a bit of a poop problem there. What are you feeding, how often and how often is he pooping?

Musk is normally released only when it feels threatened and not with normal bowel function. There should be a bit of undigested fur, some chalky urates and a little mucous. You would notice the smell but to be honest, it shouldn't be that bad. Musk is normally a pale yellow mush with the consistency of thick custard.

How long have you had this one? Check with the supplier/ breeder for history of parasites or infection.
Welshlamb Posted - 19/04/2013 : 14:07:42
Need a substrate that's very absorbing due to the amount of liquid the snake gives off after going to toilet

The King Snake Forum © 2000-08 thekingsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000