The King Snake Forum
The King Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 King Snake Posts
 King Snake - General Keeping information
 how to take a snake for a day trip?!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Lenny1611 Posted - 14/05/2013 : 15:36:08
The preschool I work at is having a pet day and as he's so well behaved (or you could say a wimp!) I'm taking Lenny. I am probably going to use an under bed storage box with drilled holes (with a luggage strap for extra security) as he doesn't like being picked up from above so an RUB isn't the best idea. There's not really anywhere to put a lamp, will a heat mat be enough? I will put a stat in there on the day. Also could the journey stress him out? If yes how could I reduce that? Becky
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
amy_90 Posted - 25/05/2013 : 22:30:34
Glad he was well behaved for you! And that the children weren't scared of him. It's good to convert them at an early age haha
Lenny1611 Posted - 23/05/2013 : 00:31:11
Went really well, thanks for advice! Didn't even need kitchen roll (no accidents) or hand gel (preschool had their own)! At pet day 4 children didn't touch the cat or dog, and 1 child didn't touch Lenny! :)
zoe_deal Posted - 16/05/2013 : 08:30:37
When I travel with Nag (4 hour journey) I put her in a cloth bag in a small rubb that I pad out with my scarves and hat and she does really well.
Auld Baldy Posted - 16/05/2013 : 02:45:40
If anyone is going to handle the snake, particularly any kids, then proper hygiene is essential. You never know when little 'accidents' might happen with all the excitement. Best to take the kitchen roll and not need it.
Lenny1611 Posted - 15/05/2013 : 23:41:16
Hand wash and kitchen roll... might sound stupid but what for? And tested the box, 30 with mat and 24 without
Auld Baldy Posted - 14/05/2013 : 19:12:04
For traveling just pop him in a pillowcase then into a small temporary tub. Maybe throw in an old towel as well for padding to stop him rattling about during the journey. As long as he hasn't been fed and the class room is not absolutely freezing then you shouldn't really need to bother with the mat and stat. You could take a small water dish and put it in the tub between show times.

Don't forget the hand wash and a kitchen roll.
Lenny1611 Posted - 14/05/2013 : 17:28:33
Yeah I'll be going in the car, and he has been fine with that previously (20 minute drive for uni holidays) but I took him in his old 2ft viv then, but now he's bigger I can't take him in his viv as its 4ft! And when taking him on those journeys I have got him out within an hour and and he's been fine, so hopefully it will be okay, just mainly the temperature I'm worried about but might put the heat mat in for half an hour or so to test the box and I'm hoping he doesn't think he's going to be fed as I feed him in a plastic box and that's the only time I've seen him a bit feisty, but I think think that's mainly the smell! Plus he's not due a feed until Saturday (pet day is Thursday)
amy_90 Posted - 14/05/2013 : 16:45:06
Oops didn't realise that was so long! Sorry for the essay
amy_90 Posted - 14/05/2013 : 16:43:54
In my opinion i would say a heat mat would be fine. I use a heatmat with Gizmo underneath a RUB and that is fine for me but that's my only experience so someone more experienced is probably better commenting

I was just going to comment on the travelling part of it. How are you travelling with him? My little guy travels to and from uni with me in the car which is a 2 and a half hour to 3 hour drive. He has never seemed stressed out about this and i normally travel with him in his RUB but with most of his decorations taken out apart from a hide. If you want to reduce stress i generally cover him with a something (usually ends up being a scarf haha, just wrapped around the top, bottom and 2 sides). You can try putting him in a smaller box so he doesn't have much room to slide about and then cover this so it is just like a large hide for him? If travelling in the car make sure that you keep the car temp reasonable (i normally have it set to 24) so they are more comfortable.

I have also heard of people putting their snakes in 'snake bags' (pillowcases are a good snake bag), you tie the top in a knot so they cannot escape and then place this in a secure RUB/box. This is also good if the box comes open somehow then the snake can't escape. It also reduces stress as the snake is in a small dark environment so should feel safe. I recently went on a Herp field course with my uni and the herpetologist used this method with a grass snake and an adder he was carrying around for the day. If you use the bag method you can also slide him out of the bag into your hand so you're not grabbing at him from above or anything.

When i arrive with my snake (back home or at uni) i set up the heatmat and stat etc and then place him on it and leave him alone for about half an hour to an hour just to let him settle. I have got him out straight after this 'calming down' period and he has never seemed any different to when i normally handle him.

If you have a chilled out snake already i think that they are much less likely to stress. You could always have a practice run and see how he reacts? Do a shorter journey or try placing him in a snake bag and see how he reacts to the different methods? (This might also work with the heatmat, see how well it heats the box you are planning on using?)

I'm sure someone a bit more experience will probably come along with some more knowledgeable advice but this is what i have experienced.
Hope that helps

The King Snake Forum © 2000-08 thekingsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000