The King Snake Forum
The King Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 King Snake Posts
 King Snake - General Keeping information
 King Snake - Why so Dirty ?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Welshlamb Posted - 04/06/2013 : 18:02:01
Well I have had my King Snake for some time now. Approx 4 months. Have noticed that this one in particular is alot dirtier than my Corn Snake.

It seems to Excrete everywhere and anywhere. I even had to give up using Beech Chips as it would just soak through.

I now have her on Wallpaper. But Im loooking for an cheap alternative bedding.

Alot have suggested Megazorb, although I dont want a substrate thats going to make finding poop / wee harder plus hardly ever seeing the snake.

Would love to hear your thoughts.
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Welshlamb Posted - 01/02/2014 : 12:08:18
I quit megazorb as it was far to dusty. I have no moved to another hemp but can't remember the name it works wonders
Beowulf1976 Posted - 24/01/2014 : 14:20:43
I use coir with mine, she goes all over the place, but I just need a teaspoon to collect the toilet bits and then she's clean again.
Welshlamb Posted - 10/08/2013 : 09:49:31
I've been converted to megazorb bedding. I've tried fake grass, aspen, beech chips. Megazorb is the cheapest and best for cleaning.
deadmansfinger Posted - 10/08/2013 : 00:57:45
Just 2 layers of newspaper in each RUB. Each snake has a hot hide and a cold hide but mostly they choose to hide under the paper, usually between the 2 layers.
nickyff Posted - 09/08/2013 : 03:24:39
paper? interesting- ive got some on chips and some on aspen, i like the chips better visually but they really dont absorb wetness well at all- i find damp patches on the wood, like the OP. aspen is nicer for the snakeys, they like to burrow in it and then pop! their little head appears... spot is the funniest, she seems to think that if her neck is covered, she's invisible... even though there's still a good three foot of distinct black and white banded waggliness waving about above the bedding behind her- kings, bless em, theyre just so fik...
my problem with aspen and chips is cos lots of my vivs are coverted glass-front cupboards, there's no 'threshold' at the bottom, so the bedding gets caught in the glass door runners. drives me potty.
paper might solve that, i spose..... i guess for them to burrow, you put in lots of layers, then DMF?
deadmansfinger Posted - 08/08/2013 : 17:05:44
I use newspaper for all my snakes, especially since all my adult kings and corn are really messy. If they make a mess I fully clean them out, clean with some F10 and replace the paper. I also find the snakes seem to prefer hiding under the paper.

I tried aubiose and other substrates but find paper the best.
Thedog1977 Posted - 06/08/2013 : 10:13:19
i have both my snake (goins and corn)on cage carpet its great when its dirty just disinfected and put in the washing machine (no washing powder) for 15 mins and then place back in viv slightly dam and they love it heatmat and or lamp will dry it in about 30 mins
Nicola Posted - 23/07/2013 : 22:31:09
I like to use kitchen roll so its easy to spot and cheap to replace but my little tinker favours doing his business when being handled!!!! So much that i can now predict when he is about to do it and place some under his but so i no longer get covered in it.... the bigger his dinners get, the far more mess he is making! not nice! lol x
Welshlamb Posted - 05/06/2013 : 10:22:20
I have been asking for advice on the corn brother forum. There I was advised about megazorb, so I got some on its way. Hopefully this works better than the beech chips I've been using.

I had around 4cm depth of the stuff and she still managed to dirty the wood at the base of my viv. Least she's stopped musking
Auld Baldy Posted - 05/06/2013 : 01:52:30
No real problem with messy clean up with mine. Bigger two Kings are on beech chips and the little nipper is on aspen. I only have to scoop up about a handful or two of chips with each spot clean. No particular favourite spot either.
Gmac Posted - 04/06/2013 : 19:06:38
must admit havent noticed any of my snakes having a fave toilet area.

The King Snake Forum © 2000-08 thekingsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000