New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Scales
Snake Mite

Ireland
3 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2010 :  12:16:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I have a 3 year old Cali King that has'nt eaten for 6 weeks now. I have tried braining the mice, and just leaving it in the tank but she still won't take them. She will try to be as far away possible from the food and shows no interest in it at all. Just wondering what could it be and are there any solutions to what I can do?

Thanks
Sarah.

Kehhlyr
The Resident Loon

United Kingdom
511 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2010 :  13:54:38  Show Profile  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Could be many different things, however the most likely is that the snake is aware of the seasonal changes.
I have a 16/17 year old cali king, he hasn't eaten for about 8 weeks, and from my past experience with him I doubt he will until closer to February.
It's normally nothing to worry about, so long as they are of a healthy weight.

However if you'd like a bit more re-assurance if you could give as much detail about her and her home as possible would help.
How long you've had her, her viv size, how long she's been in that viv, what heat source, substrate etc.
And any other info like that.

And welcome to the forum.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon
SOME OF MY ANIMALS

Go to Top of Page

Scales
Snake Mite

Ireland
3 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2010 :  15:24:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that info! I've had her 3 full years and she has gone off food before for between 3-4 months. She is in a Peninne vivarium I'm not sure of the dimensions but its medium size. She is almost 4 feet in length but is very thin for her age, but has'nt lost weight. I just want to know what can I do and should I be worried if she goes off her food. She is active and healthy. The temperature is'nt that high in the viv because of the weather over here at the moment (Its snowing heavily). I have a heat mat under a hide and I have a cooler hide for her. I have aspen snake bedding in the viv, and I also have a heat bulb in the tank that I put on during the day. The heat mat is left on all the time, and I'll be getting a new one soon. I was told to let her brumate, but I don't think she will because shes too active.

Thanks,
Sarah

Edited by - Scales on 22/12/2010 15:27:24
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
The Resident Loon

United Kingdom
511 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2010 :  21:06:16  Show Profile  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Most people only choose to brumate if they're gonna attempt to breed the following season.
Brumation isn't necessary, I have never brumated any of mine, so it's all down to personal choice really.

All that I can suggest at the moment is to make sure her temps are good and offer her food every so often, also don't be worried about her not eating yet, just be thankful it's not one of those legless Leo type things, they're well known for deciding not to eat for months on end.

And where's the pics as well??????????

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon
SOME OF MY ANIMALS

Go to Top of Page

Scales
Snake Mite

Ireland
3 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2010 :  15:40:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks a lot for that information! Heres some pics:

[URL=http://img89.imageshack.us/i/007bas.jpg/][/URL]

[URL=http://img571.imageshack.us/i/016cy.jpg/][/URL]