Mites on MBK
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sta~ple
Hatchling

United Kingdom
432 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2011 :  15:16:09  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Is there any easy way to look for them? Since mites are black and the snake is black it might be a bit hard?

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3

Kazerella
King Snake Admin

United Kingdom
1512 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2011 :  15:25:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would place him in a white pillowcase for a few minutes, then turn it inside out after he's back in his viv.

You should be able to see them crawling against the white background.

Plus the first place you usually find mites on any colour snake is in the water bowl, so you can check in there too.

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
Hatchling

United Kingdom
432 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2011 :  16:21:09  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks very much! I take it the mites fall off very easily? If I handled the snake would I see it on my hands? I would like to know before I got him home, don't want to put my current snakes at risk!

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Kingsnake Forum Admin

United Kingdom
1609 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2011 :  19:40:45  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
always quarantine new snakes on paper towel for as long as you can just to be on the safe side

1.0 dumeril boa,0.1 bci boa,1.0 royal python,1.0 mbk kingsnake,1.0corn,1.2 chinese water dragon,0.0.1 bearded dragon

Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
account deleted on request

United Kingdom
214 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2011 :  07:56:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It would also be very hard to see mites on my Marv, he has little brown specks all over his belly and sides but it's just his markings lol

I have put him on paper towel substrate for that very reason. So far all is great, no sign of nasties!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The King Snake Forum © 2000-08 thekingsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000