New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

groover1978
Snake Mite

3 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2012 :  16:59:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi

We've had our new Cali King since Monday. He's due to be fed tomorrow so I thought I'd handle him for the first time today. I've been handling a sock and putting it in his viv all week to get him used to the scent.

As expected he musked... handled him for about 30 secs as someone told me to keep the first time short and sweet.

Needless to say he hated it! Tried to get away etc. etc. Didn't bite. Went straight into one of his hides but came out again and explored his viv about 5 mins later.

But now I'm thinking I should have handled him for longer? As tomorrow is feeding day I'm wondering if I should handle him again today.

What's the definitive opinion on here... handle him every day for a few mins? Twice a day? Twice a week?!

I've had so much conflicting advice, just want to make sure we do this right. As I say tomorrow is feeding day so no handling until Tuesday if he feeds well.

Auld Baldy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
153 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2012 :  17:24:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not really a definitive rule as all snakes will behave differently. My Florida is a timid musker and vertical take off ace. I've only had it for a couple of weeks as a rehomer. I'm taking the long slow approach with a daily fiddle about arranging tubes and water dish a couple of times a day just to get him used to me opening the viv. He is really skittish and bolts into his hide. He's also a real rattler if you look at him sideways. Slow job and going to take a while to build up confidence.

One thing, there is nothing wrong with his appetite.

0.0.1 MBK : Fester
0.0.1 Florida King : Rattler (Rattle & Hum)
0.0.1 Californian King : Diablo Diego
1.0.0 Coastal Carpet Python : Vambo
0.0.1 Grey Rat Snake : Mirkey
0.0.3 Corn Snakes : Taggart, Woody & Blaze
0.2.0 Tarantulas : New River Red Rump. Red Chile Rose
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The King Snake Forum © 2000-08 thekingsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000