New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nicola
Egg

United Kingdom
67 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2013 :  15:38:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, sorry if I always ask daft questions.... But here goes.

I've just fed Cecil his weekly fuzzy which as always he spends lots of time making sure its well and truley dead! (it is per killed) and he ate as normal. But after he had his meal. he started rubbing his face and head on anything and everything available! The floor (is paper towel) water bowl, thermometer probe and plastic walls of his house. The plastic walls is something he does sometimes... I'm guessing being nosey and possibly trying to get out. As normal he has done a good lot of rounds around his house but with the added rubbing. One occasion he turned his head almost upsidown for a scratch but the rest of the time it's under his chin and around the jaw. I did see him realign his jaw and he has soaked his face in his water dish with is unheard of as the dirty little boy doesn't not like to bathe! I was shocked to see him dunk his whole head under too!!!

I have not got him out as he has litterally just eaten. But he keeps coming to look at me and I cannot see anything for him to be rubbing. No food or other debris. No shed as he did this two weeks ago and does not look ready at all. I cannot see any mites or bugs. His eyes look fine too. Can't make out his nose as he keeps moving but he is not mouth breathing or anything either. Some of his attemps to scratch involve him in rising up and really pushing downwards into the floor with his nose. I am also worried that he may rub too hard on his wooden hide tunnel as its not very smooth (with being cleaned regularly) and damage himself. Should I swap this for something else just incase?

He looks overly determined to escape today too!!! Lol

He's doing it as I write and has been for the best part of 2 hours. It's driving me mad and I bet it is him too!
Why could be be doing this? I would be greatful for any help or advice. Sadly I'm away from tomorrow until sat/sun so even though it could be nothing I am worried to leave him (my mum helps with the basics) so if I need to do anything urgently I'll get straight onto it.

Thank you.
Nic x

0.0.1 California Kingsnake. Cecil
0.1.0 Spider Royal Python. Lexi

Nicola
Egg

United Kingdom
67 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2013 :  16:27:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been sat watching him for hours.... He's starting to calm on the rubbing slightly. But keeps dipping in the water. So maybe that's helping him. The temps have got to 35c which it's never reached before! I have a mat sat and the mat under the plastic housing so I Have no idea how it's just got higher all of a sudden when I've always struggled to get the temps high enough. (with him rubbing the thermometer I removed the thing holding the wire together, it wasn't sharp but I wanted to be safe and get rid).... This is literally the only thing that's changed!

Could this be like heat rash/irritation? Tho the temps are only a few degrees over? And I see nothing on him... It's the only thing I can think of even if it does sound daft!!! ha has been favouring his cool hide today and yesterday... I do always record temps so I'm not sure I think this is my answer... I'm clutching at straws!

Oh he is being so naughty trying to get out and push open the little door flap... and climbing! I wish he wouldn't try to climb with a full belly.... Cos he is no good at it and falls! He is causing some all mighty havock today!!!! hope my naughty little snake is ok! X

Go to Top of Page

Auld Baldy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
153 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2013 :  17:10:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As far as the rubbing after a meal is concerned,it is just helping to realign the jaws. He will probably have a wide yawn as well. So nothing to worry about.

The pushing and 'pile-driving' sounds as if he's getting into breeding condition. This can cause them to get more active than normal. Usually they will also try and push at the doors or lid trying to escape. If he is getting interested in breeding then he will probably lose interest in feeding and can refuse to eat for several weeks. This can vary from a couple of weeks to a a couple of months. Nothing you can do about it as it is normal and what they do in the wild. As long as he is active and no signs of obvious weight loss then again just let him get on with it.

?? 'I removed the thing holding the wire together.' ??
Can you explain what 'thing' you removed. The probe and sensor for the thermostat and thermometer should be held together and on top of the heat source. If the probe is moved away then it will not control the temperature properly.

0.0.1 MBK : Fester
0.0.1 Florida King : Rattler (Rattle & Hum)
0.0.1 Californian King : Diablo Diego
1.0.0 Coastal Carpet Python : Vambo
0.0.1 Grey Rat Snake : Mirkey
0.0.3 Corn Snakes : Taggart, Woody & Blaze
0.2.0 Tarantulas : New River Red Rump. Red Chile Rose
Go to Top of Page

Nicola
Egg

United Kingdom
67 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2013 :  18:23:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awe I see! Oh same as last question you helped me on about the yawning. I'm glad he's ok :D I do say he but I actually don't know what he is but I'm guessing it's the same whatever sex he or she is? Cecil is 6 months now. Wow i didnt realise they would be going through that's so soon.

Sorry removed the thing was technical terms! Lol. I got a new digital thermometer after reading about how inaccurate the dial things are. But as he is in a plastic breeding box (not for much longer) and as I was worried about making a hole and poking it in... I thought he might get out of this himself so I've put it all in there with the sucker holding it to the side and the probe on the floor were the mat lies the other side of the plastic. So I think it's in the right place. Today I removed a bag tie/wire tie. It had no sharp bits at all but I didnt want it there just in case it could potentially harm him (even though It was very secure and smooth). So I don't know if it was not recording accurate temps cos of the bag tie!

Th probs I have had before today, here I'm assume there was no issues with thermometers, is that my may stat was as high as it could go and still the temps were rarely holding high enough. I did think that having the mat under the plastic may cause the slightly lower temps or is my mat is not a high enough watt. So when the temps drop I put a fan heater on in the room just to take the edge off and it does the trick. He has never looked too hot as he moves from hot to cold as he pleases and I can't say he has a favourite. But with this random temp change today since removing the tie and him soaking I can only imagine it may be down to me removing the bag tie. I don't see why it would be but I have no other explanation. Unless the slight temp change hasnt em affected him and he is soaking for an entire different reason.

Thank you for helping me, sorry all my posts/replies are so long!! X

Go to Top of Page

Auld Baldy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
153 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2013 :  19:35:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At six months it won't be rising hormones. More likely just wanting to explore the big wide world beyond the breeding box.

If he is spending time soaking, he could be coming up for a shed. It might also explain the chin scratching.

Try using a rubber band to keep the probes together instead of the bag tie if you are worried about scratching. The fact that you saw a temperature rise up to 35C means that the mat has adequate wattage to provide the heat. Try weighing down the probes directly on the base instead of the suction cups.

Don't worry about the long or 'daft' posts. More information is good for getting to a solution.

Go to Top of Page

Nicola
Egg

United Kingdom
67 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2013 :  20:56:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeh I think absolutely loves to come out and explore... He's on a mission now and I know if he think he's going somewhere he's not going to let you change his mind!! Hehehe!

It wasn't long ago but yeh it may be another shed, he's growing fast and I half expected to see blue eyes before his lunch as he was hiding away!

Until today I really had thought it wasn't working right... I've probably done something silly like u say, not rested the probe in the right way. At least im on track now :) Thanks again for all your help. The care sheets are amazing but it's daft questions like these you really do need to ask people don't u! X

Go to Top of Page

Auld Baldy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
153 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2013 :  23:05:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep,I'm the daft question master.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The King Snake Forum © 2000-08 thekingsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000