New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

amy_90
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
41 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2013 :  16:15:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
this isn't technically about kings so feel free to delete/move the post if it shouldn't be here, just didn't know where else to put it.

My mum came to visit me the other week and completely fell in love with my little king and decided she wanted a snake herself! She's bought a Kenyan sand boa with a starter kit and i told her to ask if she got a thermostat in the kit otherwise she'd need one.
The pet shop then emailed her back saying that with such a small tank (its a 2ft glass viv from my understanding) a thermostat is unnecessary.
I've always thought that the stat was for the heatmat and it didn't matter what size the viv was, it's to stop it from overheating and harming the snake.
I'm just curious if anyone has come across this before or knows why they might have said it?
i've just never heard of it before lol.

0.0.1 Blaze Phase Goins Kingsnake (Gizmo - has been christened a 'he' for now)

deadmansfinger

United Kingdom
597 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2013 :  16:31:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A thermostat is definately necessary. If possible she should take her business elsewhere. There is more chance of such a small setup overheating. All she needs is a simple mat stat and a digital thermometer if the set doesn't come with one.

1.0 Milksnake
3.3 Kingsnakes
1.1 Royal Python
1.2 Cornsnakes

Go to Top of Page

Auld Baldy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
153 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2013 :  18:46:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Note, this was supervised and set up in the middle of my living room.
More importantly there was no snake in the tub.

I tried an unstatted 12 watt mat with a small 12 x 12 plastic tub as an experiment.

With 1/3 of the base of the tub on the mat and left for couple of hours the temperature inside the tub soon reached 90+ degrees F/ 35F. The build up of heat was such that it was more like an oven with a continuous ambient temperature. IE, there was no cool side and no possibility of a temperature gradient.

A larger tub/faun/tank or viv MAY allow the heat to dissipate a bit more and prevent an over-all build up but I would never recommend it.
Any heat source needs some sort of safety control to prevent over-heating and at least minimize potential fire risk. Never use without a thermostat, no matter what anyone says.

0.0.1 MBK : Fester
0.0.1 Florida King : Rattler (Rattle & Hum)
0.0.1 Californian King : Diablo Diego
1.0.0 Coastal Carpet Python : Vambo
0.0.1 Grey Rat Snake : Mirkey
0.0.3 Corn Snakes : Taggart, Woody & Blaze
0.2.0 Tarantulas : New River Red Rump. Red Chile Rose
Go to Top of Page

amy_90
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
41 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2013 :  19:06:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys, that's what i thought. I told her to buy one anyway. They sell DWA reptiles too so you would hope that they knew their stuff.

Go to Top of Page

Auld Baldy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
153 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2013 :  20:08:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you are on Facebook, have a chat with Amanda Hogan on the King Snake group. She has a pair of Sand Boas and could give you advice on the set up.

0.0.1 MBK : Fester
0.0.1 Florida King : Rattler (Rattle & Hum)
0.0.1 Californian King : Diablo Diego
1.0.0 Coastal Carpet Python : Vambo
0.0.1 Grey Rat Snake : Mirkey
0.0.3 Corn Snakes : Taggart, Woody & Blaze
0.2.0 Tarantulas : New River Red Rump. Red Chile Rose

Edited by - Auld Baldy on 20/02/2013 20:09:41
Go to Top of Page

Nicola
Egg

United Kingdom
67 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2013 :  23:27:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's really off putting when the reptile shops give advice like this. I was told exactly the same when i was looking for my first kingsnake. They seemed to know their stuff and then advised me not to but a stat! It doesn't make any sense. Not that all shops are like this but it seems like a lot are. No snake should be with out one and a digital thermometer too :)

Good experiment there auld baldy. It's scary how fast they heat up... As are some of the burn pics I've come across :(

0.0.1 California Kingsnake. Cecil
0.1.0 Spider Royal Python. Lexi

Go to Top of Page

amy_90
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
41 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2013 :  19:21:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am on facebook. I might have to look her up, thanks!

Yeah, it is off putting. She's already put a deposit down on this snake but i think she is going to go somewhere else for her snake needs from now on

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The King Snake Forum © 2000-08 thekingsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000