New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

blakey87
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2013 :  23:20:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my 1 year old Cali king snake has always been docile and easy to handle, last month he had stopped eating for up to 5 weeks, when he eventually ate i left him alone to settle down. i tend to get him out before he is due to be fed and normally he is quite calm and inquisitive but for the last two weeks he has hardly moved about (i rearrange his viv weekly to keep him active) just staying in his hide.

last weekend when he was just due a feed he had bitten me. I assumed this was down to hunger and fed him shortly after. when i showed my partner the lump to prove he had eaten i was pointing against the glass and he started striking for my finger! and ever since then when i open the viv to move him about he is jerky and is getting ready to strike at me.

this is very unusual behavior for him as he is always docile even leading up to a feed.

I've put it down to a list of things: hunger, stress, poor temp (I'm keeping it above 27 degrees as oppose to the 24 i was advised to keep) mating season (if that's common this time of year?) or worse he may be ill.

has anybody else had the same experience? please help as I'm worried about his behavior and if its something he will just snap out off?!?!

Auld Baldy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
153 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2013 :  02:48:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I've had the same with my adult MBK. Normally docile then went on the rampage for 3 months last year. This was not during the normal breeding season and I don't know any reason for it apart from being just 'one of these things' that Kings do sometimes. The jerky shakes, arching against your hand if you touch and getting ready to strike are the same signs and that he's annoyed about something.
It is unlikely to be illness or hunger. They can safely fast for a couple of months as long as there are no other health issues. What size mouse and how often are you feeding him?
Although this is breeding season I'm not sure if yours is old enough for it to be breeding urges or whether just teenage angst. What do you think, Brian?

The only suggestions I can give is do what I did and persevere.
Temperatures should be in the range 27-33°C (81-91°F) and measured directly on the mat with a digital thermometer. Probes for thermometer and thermostat should be tied together and weighed down on the mat. I use cable zip ties.
Leave the viv set up as it is for the duration. The constant changing 'might' be annoying him.
If he is big enough to give a decent bite then get a pair of gloves for handling. I got a pair of cheap cycling gloves and he even tried to eat them. My MBK is the first snake I've had to resort to gloves with but he's a full 5' and was tearing lumps out of me.
Don't faff around when getting him out. No 'patting down', just take him out confidently and let him run over your gloved hands. Handle with him on a towel so that he isn't dangling from your hands. Being unsupported can make them more squirmy and liable to bolt and/ or musk. Eventually as he calms down, switch to a single glove and finally none. Depending on how he behaves, this can take from a few weeks to a couple of months.

Check out the full story and pictures of Fester over on the Corn Snake sister forum.
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=25900

0.0.1 MBK : Fester
0.0.1 Florida King : Rattler (Rattle & Hum)
0.0.1 Californian King : Diablo Diego
1.0.0 Coastal Carpet Python : Vambo
0.0.1 Grey Rat Snake : Mirkey
0.0.3 Corn Snakes : Taggart, Woody & Blaze
0.2.0 Tarantulas : New River Red Rump. Red Chile Rose

Edited by - Auld Baldy on 06/03/2013 02:57:47
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The King Snake Forum © 2000-08 thekingsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page