The King Snake Forum
The King Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 King Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Don't like to disappoint!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
pdmorgx9 Posted - 13/01/2013 : 20:55:05
Sorry my daily question. I rely on you guys, so much more knowledgeable than any book! Today's question my king has burrowed in his substrate today but I have the big chips. Would it matter if I had halve aspen and halve bigger? I guess with aspen I shd feed him out of his viv? Thanks again for all your help. Could watch him for hours. Feeding day tomorrow, 2 pinkies!
Cheers Paul
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Beowulf1976 Posted - 31/03/2013 : 19:42:31
I found Aspen to be lethally sharp, wouldn't touch it with a barge pole tbh.

My substrate is completely natural, 25% Orchid Bark, 75% Sterile topsoil (both totally dry) mixed together to give a real looking substrate. I put her food in, in a plant pot tray and she eats it in that.

pdmorgx9 Posted - 14/01/2013 : 22:17:25
Cheers for that guys. Now have aspen down at both with beech chips down the middle. He seems happy with both. Also fed him in a Deep RUB today, two ponkies done. Fluffs next I feel! Thanks for help again.
deadmansfinger Posted - 14/01/2013 : 17:39:59
That's why I stopped using aubiose Scott because of the mess it made.
Triangulum Posted - 14/01/2013 : 11:44:35
Scrap the chips, they can be sharp and not ideal for burrowing. Just use Aspen, aids as a substrate and an underground system. Easy to spot clean, I feeding on Aspen, just out kitchen roll down. Only negative of Aspen is the fact it gets everywhere.

Scott
Auld Baldy Posted - 14/01/2013 : 03:10:09
I have beech chips on the floor and a cat litter tray with aspen. The MBK seems to enjoy tunneling in both. I also put in some branches for a change and he was up along them like a shot.

I almost always feed outside in a tub. It is always another chance for some close up photos. With my Florida I use a planter tray because he is a shy one and it is less stress to just pop the mouse on the tray and leave him to it. He usually sneaks out, grabs it and backs into his tube hide.

Sometimes the snakes chomp along the mouse and chips stick to the saliva. I gave up risking fingers trying to pluck the chips off and prefer the feeding tub.
deadmansfinger Posted - 13/01/2013 : 21:37:51
Half and half substrate will be fine, I just use newspaper. If you want to use a substrate look for aubiose, you get it from places that sell horse bedding and it's half the price of aspen. I used to use it and it's good stuff. Personally I'd feed him out of the viv if you use substrate, saves him digesting any but I know lots of folk that feed ontop of substrate without issues, guess it's just personal preference.

The King Snake Forum © 2000-08 thekingsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000