Don't like to disappoint!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pdmorgx9
Snake Mite

19 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2013 :  20:55:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry my daily question. I rely on you guys, so much more knowledgeable than any book! Today's question my king has burrowed in his substrate today but I have the big chips. Would it matter if I had halve aspen and halve bigger? I guess with aspen I shd feed him out of his viv? Thanks again for all your help. Could watch him for hours. Feeding day tomorrow, 2 pinkies!
Cheers Paul

deadmansfinger

United Kingdom
597 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2013 :  21:37:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Half and half substrate will be fine, I just use newspaper. If you want to use a substrate look for aubiose, you get it from places that sell horse bedding and it's half the price of aspen. I used to use it and it's good stuff. Personally I'd feed him out of the viv if you use substrate, saves him digesting any but I know lots of folk that feed ontop of substrate without issues, guess it's just personal preference.

1.0 Milksnake
3.3 Kingsnakes
1.1 Royal Python
1.2 Cornsnakes

Edited by - deadmansfinger on 13/01/2013 21:38:51
Go to Top of Page

Auld Baldy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
153 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2013 :  03:10:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have beech chips on the floor and a cat litter tray with aspen. The MBK seems to enjoy tunneling in both. I also put in some branches for a change and he was up along them like a shot.

I almost always feed outside in a tub. It is always another chance for some close up photos. With my Florida I use a planter tray because he is a shy one and it is less stress to just pop the mouse on the tray and leave him to it. He usually sneaks out, grabs it and backs into his tube hide.

Sometimes the snakes chomp along the mouse and chips stick to the saliva. I gave up risking fingers trying to pluck the chips off and prefer the feeding tub.

0.0.1 MBK : Fester
0.0.1 Florida King : Rattler (Rattle & Hum)
0.0.1 Californian King : Diablo Diego
1.0.0 Coastal Carpet Python : Vambo
0.0.1 Grey Rat Snake : Mirkey
0.0.3 Corn Snakes : Taggart, Woody & Blaze
0.2.0 Tarantulas : New River Red Rump. Red Chile Rose
Go to Top of Page

Triangulum

United Kingdom
569 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2013 :  11:44:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Scrap the chips, they can be sharp and not ideal for burrowing. Just use Aspen, aids as a substrate and an underground system. Easy to spot clean, I feeding on Aspen, just out kitchen roll down. Only negative of Aspen is the fact it gets everywhere.

Scott

Go to Top of Page

deadmansfinger

United Kingdom
597 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2013 :  17:39:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's why I stopped using aubiose Scott because of the mess it made.

1.0 Milksnake
3.3 Kingsnakes
1.1 Royal Python
1.2 Cornsnakes

Go to Top of Page

pdmorgx9
Snake Mite

19 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2013 :  22:17:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cheers for that guys. Now have aspen down at both with beech chips down the middle. He seems happy with both. Also fed him in a Deep RUB today, two ponkies done. Fluffs next I feel! Thanks for help again.
Go to Top of Page

Beowulf1976
Hatchling

United Kingdom
199 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2013 :  19:42:31  Show Profile  Click to see Beowulf1976's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I found Aspen to be lethally sharp, wouldn't touch it with a barge pole tbh.

My substrate is completely natural, 25% Orchid Bark, 75% Sterile topsoil (both totally dry) mixed together to give a real looking substrate. I put her food in, in a plant pot tray and she eats it in that.

1.0.0 Turkish Van - Oscar, 0.1.0 Avicularia Metallica - Penelope, 0.1.0 Arizona Mountain King - Tehya.
1.0.0 Black Labrador - Sam
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The King Snake Forum © 2000-08 thekingsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000