New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DrewPickles
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
21 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2012 :  23:20:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My MBK is due to shed any day and i'm slightly worrie about the humidity. I hear a humid hide is the way to go. What is a good substrate to use for an MBK? Also could I bathe her to try and help moisten her a bit? She feels awfully dry at the moment. Thanks alot guys.

Auld Baldy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
153 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2012 :  00:38:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use either beech chips or aspen shavings as substrate.

Try a moist hide, ice cream tub with access hole cut in lid and filled with damp sphagnum moss.
Alternative is to have a large pyrex dish with enough water to let the snake submerge itself. I prefer this option to actually giving a bath as it can freak and stress it more with the change of surroundings plus possible temperature shock. Best to give it the options to make up its own mind.

Any problems with previous shed or is this the first with you?

0.0.1 MBK : Fester
0.0.1 Florida King : Rattler (Rattle & Hum)
0.0.1 Californian King : Diablo Diego
1.0.0 Coastal Carpet Python : Vambo
0.0.1 Grey Rat Snake : Mirkey
0.0.3 Corn Snakes : Taggart, Woody & Blaze
0.2.0 Tarantulas : New River Red Rump. Red Chile Rose
Go to Top of Page

deadmansfinger

United Kingdom
597 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2012 :  09:02:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You shouldn't need to do anything for her. I don't provide any of my kings with a moist hide and they are all kept on paper bedding and shed perfectly each time. I also never bath my kings. Unless she has had previous shedding issues don't worry about it.

As long as your water bowl is big enough for her to get into then she'll sort herself out

1.0 Milksnake
3.3 Kingsnakes
1.1 Royal Python
1.2 Cornsnakes

Edited by - deadmansfinger on 14/08/2012 09:03:34
Go to Top of Page

DrewPickles
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
21 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2012 :  09:53:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks. I actually meant what substrate to use in the moist hide, but you've answered that as well so thanks :P I've given her a larger water bowlnow. Well, it's a plastic tub, but it's bigger than what she usually had. The main reason i've been worried is i've never actually seen her go anywhere near her water, instead of actually bathing her I just put her in the bowl just to get a little soak, but she quickly retreated back to her hide, I guess we'll just have to see how it goes from here. Thanks alot guys, you've all been really helpful, I don't know how i'd cope without you, I feel like a new mother who's baby has got her first cold :P I hope my constant fretting isn't getting too annoying yet.

Edited by - DrewPickles on 14/08/2012 10:01:54
Go to Top of Page

deadmansfinger

United Kingdom
597 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2012 :  14:13:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you really want a moist hide get some sphagnum moss from somewhere like B&Q. It's only £3.50 a packet and will last you ages but it's honestly not necessary.
I use plastic dog bowls from pets at home for a combined water bowl/cold hide. Just cut the handle bit off the side and it's ideal. They range from £1.25 for a small up to £4 for an extra large (a 1kg royal can easily fit under an extra large one). I use them in all my setups. Saves space too buy not having a separate water bowl:-

1.0 Milksnake
3.3 Kingsnakes
1.1 Royal Python
1.2 Cornsnakes

Edited by - deadmansfinger on 14/08/2012 14:16:01
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The King Snake Forum © 2000-08 thekingsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000