New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

P0NY
Snake Mite

23 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2012 :  20:24:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heya,
Ginn my Kingsnake had blue eyes yesterday but as she was a due a feed I thought I'd try anyway as some people say their snake is fine with feeding during blue eyes period.

Shes gone onto medium mice last week so just to be safe I gave her a Small Mouse instead. She took it after bouncing it on her nose a couple of times (as she was pretty much blind).

I came home today and found she had regurgitated, it was all messed up so I reckon she must have been digesting it for a while.

I am currently in the progress of cleaning her entire cage (just in case, it was due a clean anyway).

Now my question:
1. How long should I wait till her next feed?
2. Can I handle her once she has shed, or should I wait a certain period?
3. Should I bath her at all?

0.0.1 Calolina Corn (Araluen)
1.0.0 Butter/Amel Corn (Tek)
0.0.1 Cali King Snake (Ginn)
0.1.0 Boa Constrictor (Aysha)

james
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2012 :  21:22:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1) Generally leave it until next feed is due if your snake does not feed (in this case wait until after Ginn has shed). My King feeds every other week.

2) As soon as Ginn sheds it is fine to handle her.

3) Indie sheds very well these days so it is really not necessary for me to bath him. You can do this if the skin looks flaky and she is stuggling to shed. You could always get a small plastic container (put a hole in lid big enough for her to enter) and add Live Moss (get from pet shop) and she will go into this if she needs more moisture to assist with her shed.
Go to Top of Page

P0NY
Snake Mite

23 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2012 :  22:34:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not really worried about the shedding, its cause she regurgitated and I'm afraid of feeding her soon after. Don't know what it does to a snakes insides.

0.0.1 Calolina Corn (Araluen)
1.0.0 Butter/Amel Corn (Tek)
0.0.1 Cali King Snake (Ginn)
0.1.0 Boa Constrictor (Aysha)
Go to Top of Page

deadmansfinger

United Kingdom
597 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2012 :  14:09:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Leave it at least a week from the date she regurged.
Handle as soon as shes shed, no problem.
No need to bath her.

As soon as my snakes go blue I do not feed them until they have shed. Personal preference but I imagine it would be easier for them to shed with an empty stomach.

1.0 Milksnake
3.3 Kingsnakes
1.1 Royal Python
1.2 Cornsnakes

Go to Top of Page

IncurableFlirt
Egg

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 17/08/2012 :  03:10:50  Show Profile  Send IncurableFlirt an AOL message  Reply with Quote
In my own personal opinion, I would go even longer than a week to feed her again. Stretch it out to two weeks...give her digestive tract a chance to recuperate. Regurging is very hard on them. While she may take food in a week's time (and possibly even keep it down), the risk for her to regurge again is pretty high. And it certainly isn't going to hurt her to go without food for a couple of weeks. ;) Best of luck!

Jenn.
8.8 Royal Pythons
1.0 BCI Boa
1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa
1.2 Corn Snakes
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The King Snake Forum © 2000-08 thekingsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000