Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

zoe_deal
Egg

United Kingdom
55 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2013 :  10:14:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I just saw nag regurge her food.
Have no idea what caused it as she was fed on Monday afternoon and I first held her this morning, so she has had well over 48hrs to digest.
It looks almost completely digested, if I hadn't seen it come out her mouth I would think it was poo.
She seems completely normal though. How long should I wait to feed her again?

0.0.1 Florida Kingsnake (Nagini)

amy_90
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
41 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2013 :  11:33:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i think regurge is usually down to something stressing the snake or the food being too large for them so they can't fully digest it. More food probably takes longer to digest so if you've just started feeding her more maybe that's why she regurged? I wouldn't think it's anything to worry about if this is the first time. And if it was almost completely digested then she probably got some nutrition out of it
I've read somewhere that you don't have to wait long to feed them again as the acid in their stomach is different to ours and they don't actually have to rebuild it to eat again, so you can feed them the next day with no stress on their stomach.
However, (because i'm a worrier), if it were me i would probably wait a week and then try, just in case. If you're worried she might not want to feed again so soon just wait a week, it won't do her any harm

0.0.1 Blaze Phase Goins Kingsnake (Gizmo - has been christened a 'he' for now)
Go to Top of Page

zoe_deal
Egg

United Kingdom
55 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2013 :  12:13:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, she's been on small mice for almost two months now, so now entirely sure. Was actually think of moving her up to mediums, but I'll hold off on that.
I'll feed her again a week on monday so she'll have had a week and a half to sort things out.
I'm pretty sure its the first time she's regurged, but as it looked so much like her poo I can't be 100% sure.

Go to Top of Page

zoe_deal
Egg

United Kingdom
55 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2013 :  14:04:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
*not entirely sure

Go to Top of Page

Auld Baldy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
153 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2013 :  16:09:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The generally accepted period and advised in most Care Guides is to allow 10 days recovery time after a regurge (or suspected).

If it wasn't a regurge then the extra couple of days won't make any difference anyway.

0.0.1 MBK : Fester
0.0.1 Florida King : Rattler (Rattle & Hum)
0.0.1 Californian King : Diablo Diego
1.0.0 Coastal Carpet Python : Vambo
0.0.1 Grey Rat Snake : Mirkey
0.0.3 Corn Snakes : Taggart, Woody & Blaze
0.2.0 Tarantulas : New River Red Rump. Red Chile Rose
Go to Top of Page

zoe_deal
Egg

United Kingdom
55 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2013 :  17:46:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just gave her a warm bath and apart from the regurge she is acting completely normal (she's eyeing up my fingers as I type), so I'll give her the week to recover, but I'm not too worried about her for now. If it continues I'll let you know but for now I think she is okay.
Thanks for all the advice, this site is fantastic :)

Go to Top of Page

amy_90
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
41 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2013 :  08:53:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From my experience regurge absolutely stinks so you would probably notice if she had done it before. Glad she is still acting like herself

Go to Top of Page

zoe_deal
Egg

United Kingdom
55 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2013 :  09:24:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are probably right. It is possibly she caused it herself, she does do stupid things straight after eating, like climb the size of her tank and then fall off - repeatedly. I wouldn't be surprised if that caused a regurge, silly snake.

Go to Top of Page

amy_90
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
41 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2013 :  12:41:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Haha yeah, maybe she just spooked herself!

Go to Top of Page

deadmansfinger

United Kingdom
597 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2013 :  20:38:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are your temps ok as this is one of the most common causes of regurge. Others causes can be feeding too big food items which isn't an issue here, handling too soon which doesn't seem to be an issue and finally stress.

As mentioned above I would wait 10 days before you feed again.

1.0 Milksnake
3.3 Kingsnakes
1.1 Royal Python
1.2 Cornsnakes

Go to Top of Page

deadmansfinger

United Kingdom
597 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2013 :  20:46:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by amy_90

I've read somewhere that you don't have to wait long to feed them again as the acid in their stomach is different to ours and they don't actually have to rebuild it to eat again, so you can feed them the next day with no stress on their stomach.

Snakes do need time to rebuild their digestive juices, this takes around 7 days.

***Edit***. I've been reading up on this and some people state that snakes only produce digestive juices when a prey item hits the stomach so there is no need to wait while others say you need to wait 7 days to let them build up, wish they'd make up their mind

If anyone can find anything scientific to back up either statement let me know.

1.0 Milksnake
3.3 Kingsnakes
1.1 Royal Python
1.2 Cornsnakes

Edited by - deadmansfinger on 02/02/2013 11:42:13
Go to Top of Page

zoe_deal
Egg

United Kingdom
55 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2013 :  21:32:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Temps are pretty normal, hot end is about 31 and cool is room temp. Nevertheless I'll give her till next monday (the 11th) till her next feed.

Go to Top of Page

deadmansfinger

United Kingdom
597 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2013 :  23:54:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've had 2 snakes regurge on me. My corn because I overfed it and my royal was similar to yours and what seemed like no reason at all. Temps were fine, no handling, no stress that I knew about and the foodsize was as usual. This was over 18 months ago I think and it never happened again.

1.0 Milksnake
3.3 Kingsnakes
1.1 Royal Python
1.2 Cornsnakes

Go to Top of Page

zoe_deal
Egg

United Kingdom
55 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2013 :  16:24:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've seen a few different things, but she is healthy and never missed a feed so I feel happy making her wait till next monday for her feed.
I'm sure if we asked she would say she is good for tomorrow, but we can't so she must wait.
I might invest in a new, good themostat as well. Do any of you have a good one you would recommend? Just because I've been having a few fluctuations in my temps that I've started to notice and nothing appears to be causing them.

Go to Top of Page

Auld Baldy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
153 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2013 :  18:19:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use Habistats with no problems of fluctuation. I have both MatStat 100 watt for multiple heat mats and the Pulse stat for a ceramic heater.

0.0.1 MBK : Fester
0.0.1 Florida King : Rattler (Rattle & Hum)
0.0.1 Californian King : Diablo Diego
1.0.0 Coastal Carpet Python : Vambo
0.0.1 Grey Rat Snake : Mirkey
0.0.3 Corn Snakes : Taggart, Woody & Blaze
0.2.0 Tarantulas : New River Red Rump. Red Chile Rose
Go to Top of Page

deadmansfinger

United Kingdom
597 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2013 :  23:23:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use habistat and microclimate matstats and pulse stats. My favourite for heatmats is the microclimate ministat 100. You need to use a screwdriver to set the temp on the front, I actually prefer that now over the knob on the habistats as I find that too easy to move accidently.

1.0 Milksnake
3.3 Kingsnakes
1.1 Royal Python
1.2 Cornsnakes

Edited by - deadmansfinger on 04/02/2013 23:25:10
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The King Snake Forum © 2000-08 thekingsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page